Monday, October 26, 2009

My Grandma

My sweet little grandma passed away last week after a 2 year battle with lung cancer and it was a bitter sweet time. The darn cancer won again. I feel a little robbed because she was only 77. Now I know a lot of people die earlier than this, but I know a lot of grandparents live 20+ years on top of that. I thought it would be easier to see her go, because she was suffering so much, but it was really hard. I have so many memories of her, which I am so thankful for, but the more I think of the memories, the more I miss her.

My sister had every family member write down our memories of grandma and she created a really cute memory book for her. We gave it to her on her birthday, just a few weeks ago. I am glad she was able to read each of those memories before she died. She really enjoyed that and I think we will do this for our remaining grandparents for Christmas. There were some pretty funny memories of her. Anyone that knew my grandma knew how funny and scatterbrained she was. She made us laugh so much, and half the time we would be laughing at her and she didn't even realize it. She was also the most caring person I knew. She was always taking care of someone and she always had random people over for our family dinners. And trust me, some of those people were rAnDoM, but she still took them in because they had no where else to go. The compassion she had for others is just one of the reasons we named Claire after her (middle name). I won't go off about all the good (and funny) things about her, but I am just so glad I was able to grow up just down the road from her and my grandpa. Oh, the good times we had.

The funeral was so good. Lots of crying and laughter. I was so impressed with the things my dad had to say. Love that guy!

My pictures will NOT reverse order, so we will start with the back of Claire. She just kept getting into my sister-in-law's bag and trying to get all the good treats in there...



Random shots at the dinner...





And the quilt we made 7 years ago for my grandparents...


Earlier this summer...
(my grandma had been going through chemo)


Love you grandma!

3 comments:

Diana said...

It was a very nice service and I am thankful that I was able to attend. I am so glad that I got to meet your Grandma, but would like to have had the chance to get to know her better -- as I have heard what an incredible and funny lady she was. I guess since I didn't have the chance on this side of the veil, I'll have to wait til I get on the other side to do that. I am sad that Sterling and I weren't able to go visit her as we would have liked. It seemed there was always something in the way -- usually work! It's so nice that you grandkids have such great memories of your time with her as do some of your kids, and that you were lucky to live so close. I realized on the day of her funeral the reason I love to get together with family is to have fun and make memories. I didn't live close to my grandparents and didn't seem them very often. I really didn't know them that well and I hardly know my aunts and cousins. I want Rich, as well as nieces, nephews and cousins, to have memories. It's nice to hear my sister's kids say, "Aunt Nana, remember when we made . . . or remember when we did . . .," because then I know that I am doing what I set out to do. I love being a part of this cRazY family and love you all.

tracie said...

I was sad to hear about your Grandma. I had to laugh about her inviting random people over for dinner cause I can see that, and about laughing at her and half the time her not even realizing it. Your Grandma was a neat lady.

Candace said...

Oh how much I love and miss that wonderful lady! I had a great memory of her the other day while in the temple. Do you remember when you were going through for the first time and we were all supposed to be very quite and Grandma doesn't know how to whisper quietly and was telling someone that she was sitting by, 'this is a special occasion, we are here for my granddaughter!' It was hilarious because everyone in the room could hear and then they took her out of turn and made her go next so it wasn't so loud. She knew that she had done something wrong then, anyway you had to have been there, but it was a pretty funny moment. What a great lady she was! I love and miss her so much!