Wednesday, August 15, 2007

PG

This entry is rated PG for Pretty Gross.

WARNING: Let's just say that it might leave some unpleasant images in your head.

Nate came home last night from work and said he had to do the grossest thing he has ever done. I hope I can relate this story as well as he told it to me. If you have any questions, he can answer them.

So a man in his 40's, that appeared to be homeless, came into the ER last night. He had an abscess on his butt that was causing major pain. So down came the pants because Nate had the wonderful opportunity to drain the abscess out. The man had VERY POOR hygiene, meaning he didn't keep himself very clean, as in wiping. Gross, I know. And the abscess was located very close to this not very clean area. In fact, Nate had to have a nurse help "spread the cheeks" so he could have better access to the abscess. So as the nurse is holding the cheeks apart, Nate opens the abcess with a scalpel so he can start draining the "white, creamy, tan, brownish, crud/puss junk", or whatever it is, out of the abscess. So once the hole is created, the "stuff" starts spraying out. Nate said he has never ever in his life smelt anything so horrible as the crap that was flying out of that abscess (amongst other smells that were coming from this man). And it flew out into a stream almost 12 inches long, and it kept coming. He said he didn't think it would ever stop. It was so horrible that he was dry heaving from the smell, but he couldn't leave. He had to help drain it ALL out. He was trying to be really relaxed about it so the man wouldn't know he was dry heaving. I wish I could have seen that. The funny part was that the nurse kept trying to make excuses to leave the room, but Nate made her stay and suffer through it. The guy was in a lot of pain too, so Nate felt bad for him. Gross. Nate tells it a lot better, but that is okay. His work usually doesn't phase him, but when he gets the few "odd" cases, it is so funny to hear his stories. Oh, and one more thing. He told me that he wanted to bring a sample of the "white, creamy, tan, brownish crap/puss stuff" home for me to smell so I could know how awful it really was. Sweet, that would have been just sweet.

4 comments:

Jill Johnson said...

That is too gross. Casey can relate to butt sores, but I hope he has better butt wiping skills!!!

Jill said...

And that, folks, is why I never wanted to become and never will be a nurse.

Jennifer said...

Oh.

That is nasty.

I will tell you what that reminds me of, but not here, in blog-form. I am emailing you right now.

Casey said...

That is so disgusting! I lost my appetite! That is a great story, I bet Nate has tons of other ones too. Please Share!