Sunday, May 18, 2008

Guatemala part 3 - The finale!

On the 2nd to last day of their trip, Nate and 3 other guys spent the day climbing a volcano. This was one of the highlights of the trip for Nate. He loves this kind of stuff.


Above: Here he is posing in front of one of the 33 volcanoes in Guatemala.
Below: The Volcano he hiked up. This picture is taken part way up the volcano.

Above: Hiking up the volcano. Some locals followed them like vultures until the older hikers tired out enough to rent some horses from them.
Below: A horse. I think this picture was taken for Dylan's sake.




Above: A common way of carrying things. I don't think I would last too long there.


Above: The 4 hikers. This was the stopping point for the out-of-shape hikers. Nate and Greg continued up to the very top.
Below: One hot volcano hiker.


Above: The actual hole in the volcano. I can't believe Nate got that close! In one of the pictures he took you could see actual ash in the air, but I forgot to download that one. Oops.
Below: A cheesy smile at the top of the volcano.


Above and below: It looks like Nate is getting a little too close to the lava. He could actually see it moving. As bragging rights, he wants all his family that have been or who are going to Hawaii this month to know that you can't get this close to the lava in Hawaii. You'll have to go to Guatemala for this experience.


And that is the end. Hope you all enjoyed the pictures.

3 comments:

Jill Johnson said...

That is so cool! I loved all the pics. When we were in Belize we took pictures with all the guards with big machine guns. After I got home and thought about it I was scared!

Tanya said...

That is so neat! Way to go Nate!!

Tina Folsom said...

What an exciting trip and opportunity. I'm glad he had such a great time.