Monday, May 5, 2008

The "light show"

Yesterday in church, I was sitting with the kids in sacrament meeting when I noticed that the lights started to flicker. This went on for a couple of minutes and then stopped. I thought the power was struggling to keep them on or something, but I didn't think too much about it. A few minutes later it started happening again, but I still didn't think too much about it. Since I was giving the lesson in RS about the atonement, I was really trying to ponder the Savior and remember the things that he has done for me. I was trying to have a spiritual moment (That doesn't happen as often as it should). So anyway, while I am trying to be all spiritual and ignore the lights that keep flickering, I notice that everyone keeps looking back at me smiling. Some were chuckling a little and some were even waving, or so I thought. So I kept smiling back and was thinking to myself, "Wow, these people really missed me while we were gone and they are so happy to see us back. I really love this ward". That is when I noticed that people weren't waving at me, they were pointing at me...or behind me. So I glance back one way and didn't notice anything. I thought maybe Nate had showed up from work and people were trying to show him where we were sitting. But I couldn't see him, so I turned back around and kept trying to be spiritual. Then I noticed again that the lights kept flickering and people were STILL looking at me and pointing behind me. I then turned the other way to face the wall and I see what they are pointing at. Dylan. Standing on the bench, playing with the lights. Oh. That's nice. A chuckle goes through the congregation and I now quit being spiritual and try to keep Dylan away from the lights for the rest of the meeting.

A few people came up to me after and commented on how they missed the "light show" and that they heard my reaction was pretty funny. I am glad I could be the humor that got everyone through testimony meeting. That's the last time we sit on that bench.

9 comments:

Tina Folsom said...

That's funny about the lights. I gave up having spiritual moments while my kids were little. I have a hard time even now that my kids are old enough to know better.

Melody Baxter said...

Better the light switch than what many of us have experienced - the fire alarm. You don't spend a lot of time figuring out who is messing with that one.

crush said...

Hillarious!

Tanya said...

We have a bench at church just like that. I hate sitting on that bench. Brian always saves me a bench because he is at the church early for his mtgs. More times then less he picks that bench, so here I am in church sitting by myself (as always) as Brian just smiles from the stand as I try to keep Jackson from turning off the light. I feel your pain. It was a great story...... You make me laugh!!!

Unknown said...

hahaha, that made my day.

Unknown said...

ps I have no idea why it shows tate's name, he doesn't even have an account. This is really nancy talking

staci baker said...

That's funny! Gotta love those little boys!

Maren said...

(Brian's Maren)
I can relate to Tina, giving up spiritual moments. I have been the Primary secretary since my oldest daughter Gwen was born (3 years ago).

I have this recurring nightmare-daydream thing where I am finally released from Primary, and then I am asked to say a prayer in Sacrament meeting, wherein I say "I am thankful for the Princess bed, thankful for cousins . . . "

K'Lyn said...

And I missed it? Ah man!