Sunday, September 23, 2007

Green grass

I have had some random comments in the past about how brown our grass is. I know it was brown, thanks for pointing it out. I think it was the brownest in our whole development. But I must say, after many fervent prayers that our grass would some how miraculously turn green, (without having to spend thousands of dollars on water like we did last summer), it did. Okay, so it did rain a little and we added a little fertilizer, but seriously, it turned this green in a matter of a couple days. Crazy eh? I know!





(I think this is what Michigan is supposed to be like when it isn't in a drought)


I still can't believe the difference. It really is a small miracle. Our neighbors, who spend endless hours working in their yard, would laugh secretly in their heads at how ugly our lawn was (I think), and now they can't believe it either! In fact, ours is now greener then theirs and they even have a sprinkler system! Ha!

In all my years of growing up, I never imagined I would worry about how my lawn looked. I didn't know neighbors compared their lawns and actually discussed it on a frequent basis. I didn't know it would be a main topic of discussion every time we encountered them. But it is. And instead of them giving us advice and it going in one ear and out the other (because we didn't have time or money to take care of it, and we really didn't care a whole lot), we can now sit back and fully engage our selves in their conversations and enjoy discussing how we get our lawn so green. I just never knew it would be such a big deal. But it is. We don't really care if it stays this green, we just want to make sure it isn't the brownest on the block. It can be brown, just not the brownest.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

So you're one of of THOSE people, eh? I am one of the ones who would have been scorning you...

Although, I am mad because Mike and I have spent hours and hours and hours this summer on our lawn, and it still doesn't look as good as that.

Lame.

Brianne said...

Okay, so it's not like we didn't try at all to get it green in the first place, but we were gone for the whole month of July and it was SO FREAKIN DRY and hot here. As you can see from the neighbors lawn in the background, that is the brownest theirs has EVER been. It was a bad time of year. EVeryone's is a little greener now, just not as green as ours. hehe.

And we (meaning Nate, mostly) does try to keep it up. Just not as much as everyone else. There are more importnant things.

Jill said...

Love this. Love it, love it, love it.

Because we found ourselves in the same boat with our house and lawn. Neighbors comparing, us not having the time or resource to care, and then one big last effort before we left. Gotta go out with a bang, no?

Congrats to you and Nate. It looks beautimous!

Tanya said...

This was a pretty funny topic! You should see our yard. You remember that we moved into a mansion. Well the people that left have the most beautiful house and yard in the whole neighborhood.No pressure on our part.Brian really enjoys taking care of the lawn, WHEN HE HAS TIME. Never!! So the kids and I do it for the most part. The lawns not the hard part for me. All the plants and fruit bushes and trees are my burden. I don't have the slightest clue about any of this stuff. The lady previous had it so all the plants would bloom at a different time. But my problem is knowing if they are annuals or perenials.It's a lot of work. I HATE to water!! Not to mention the huge house. And you know how I am about keeping a clean house. We've talked about canceling our gym membership because we get a good workout just moving about our home and yard with all the up keep involved. And some how I'm to continue to teach my 16 piano students, clean a couple homes and watch my friends kid before and after school. I don't have enough time in the day! Bottom line...... keeping up with a yard just SUCKS! How do people do it?

Anonymous said...

You just need to have a nice yard from the front and then have a little grass in the back with desert landscaping. J/K I hate doing my yard. That was mom's favorite thing to do and I did not inherit it. Sounds like you girls both did.

Jill Johnson said...

You rock. What miracle fertilizer did you use?

SaratogaHills1stRS said...

Hey Brianne,
This is Cami, remember me? I've been checking out your blog for the last little while. Andrea told me about it-- after I lost the address you sent me awhile ago. I love reading your posts. You totally crack me up! It's great to see your family and to know whats up with you guys! Thanks for keeping me smiling! You are funny! Sure miss you guys!
Cami