Thursday, October 11, 2007

Stuff

So I have neglected my blog a little. Nate is on a good rotation right now and has been home a lot, and when he is home (and not doing his readings/studying), I don't blog. It has been quite nice. We have been able to spend a lot of time together and working together around the house and stuff. Some things we have been doing:
  • Painting our basement. We did that while watching conference on Saturday and I must admit, conference has never gone by so fast before. On Sunday, it was reverse. I think we were sprawled out on the couch almost 6 hours straight. Conference didn't go by quite so fast, but a few naps were had by all. I better download those talks that I "accidentally" missed.
  • We are getting so close to finishing our basement. Nate has spent a lot of time working down there, and after he finishes the floor boards, we only need the ceiling and the carpet! I can't wait for the kids to be able to play down there! Our goal is to have it finished by Halloween so we can have a party here.
  • More painting. We decided we better paint the bedrooms and the bathrooms so that our house looks more appealing when we try to sell it in 1 1/2 years. After painting the whole bathroom (it took forever because of all the little nooks and crannies), we decided the color was awful. We wanted a light yellow and it turned out way to bright and gaggy looking. Yes, gaggy. I say that, because every time I look at it it hurts my head and I want to throw up. Ugly ugly yellow color. We will try a much lighter and softer looking color tomorrow. By the way, does anyone have any tips on painting behind the toilet without actually getting paint on the toilet?
  • The weekend here was HOT HOT HOT HOT and more HOT. It was record breaking around here for this time of year at 92ish. Crazy because I think at home (Canada) it was snowing. Too bad for them since it was Thanksgiving. Now it is freezing. One day we had to break down and turn on the AC, which I try to never do, and within a couple days I had to break down again and turn on the heat, which I try not to do as well.
  • I have been playing in a women's volleyball league and it is really fun and competitive. A lot more fun then the co-ed team I played on last year.
  • Dylan is enjoying preschool. We take turns doing it 2 days a week at each of our homes and this week was my turn. I learned quickly that their little attention spans dwindle quickly. It was fun and Dylan did a lot better then I thought he would.
  • I also help coach grades 2-5 girls basketball. Wow, that is a job in and of itself.
  • We rented the movie "We Are Marshall" the other night and it was really good. I don't think I have cried so much in a movie since Titanic. Oh. That was a joke. But it really was a teary-eyed movie.

So that is about it. Next week Nate will be gone a lot so I am sure I will be posting more.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Take pictures of your basement! I want to see it. And while you're at it, give me a basement too. I haaaaaaate living with toys in our living room.

It's been really cold and hot here too. We went from AC to heater and back to AC, etc. over the course of a week. I am excited though because it is so warm right now. I love it.

And here's a happy little painting tip: Take the toilet off. (But make sure you put a new wax seal around it when you put it back on.) I once tried scraping wall paper off the wall behind our toilet and Mike came home and laughed at me. I had been trying to scrape it for hours and in 5 minutes, he took off the toilet and scraped it all off. And since then, I refuse to do any remodeling...

You're welcome for the long comment.

Tina Folsom said...

I bring home paint swatches every time I go to town. I can't decide on a colour and I'm dreading having to paint the high ceilings in the living room so I don't want to pick the wrong colour because I definitely don't want to redo it.

Yes, it was snowing here last week which delayed our harvest but we're getting closer to being done with the nicer weather this week.

Anonymous said...

One way to paint behind the toilet is to take the holding tank off. It is not that hard, you just turn the water valve from the wall off and flush the tank till it is empty. Then, unscrew the two bolts holding it to the bowl. An easier way is to hold newspaper close to the tank and paint as far back in the crack as you can reach and the newspaper keeps the paint off the tank.