Saturday, October 20, 2007

Tornado warnings

People have been asking about the tornadoes here in Michigan and yes, it was crazy. All day Thursday there were terrible winds and a lot of tornado warnings. We didn't even realize there were tornado warnings until I was about to tuck Dylan into bed and heard a loud siren go off outside. I had never heard this go off but apparently it was the city tornado warning siren. It went off for about 10-15 minutes and scared Dylan pretty bad (and me, a little). We didn't think it was too serious, we were just annoyed that we couldn't watch "The Office" because the local news kept interrupting the program telling people to go to their basements. We ignored it. Come to find out the next morning, most of our friends had woken up their kids and hid out in their basements until the warnings were over. Apparently streets that are within walking distance from us were targets for touchdowns, but luckily, the tornado didn't touch down. I guess it was pretty serious. 3 people were killed in nearby counties and some pretty amazing stories have been told. I think this one is really neat and I am so thankful that we didn't get hit by one. Next time we will take the siren a little more serious.

This was on a local news channel:

As the storms approached the Millington, Joe Soyring and Nichole Opperman prepared to take their kids to safety.

Before they could gather their family, Soyring and Opperman fell into the basement of the house.

"Next thing you know, the house started shaking. Both of us thought it was an earthquake. And the next thing you know, I got sucked down into the basement and I watched the tornado go that way," Soyring recalled.

When they crawled out of the wreckage, Soyring and Opperman found 3-year-old Makayla, but couldn't find their 15-month-old son Blake, who had been sleeping in a crib when the storm hit.
Neighbor Jeff Hawks came running when he heard the screams for help.


"We're looking all over for the baby. I mean, we scoured the whole 3 acres over here, the whole 3 acres on my side, and we couldn't find the baby," Hawks said.

"All of a sudden, I heard this little whimper and I told everybody to be quiet so we could hear it. And the baby was under this huge pile of debris, probably about this deep (motioning about 5 feet high) -- floor rafters, you know, everything."

They pulled apart the pile to find the baby very much alive.

"The crib had flipped over and the mattress was the only thing that saved the baby. The mattress was on top of the baby, but I mean there was thousands of pounds of stuff wrapped over this baby. I don't know how he made it."

The crib and the baby were about 25 feet from the house. He suffered minor cuts and bruises, but is otherwise fine.

Amazing eh? Someones prayers were sure being heard!!!!

3 comments:

Jill said...

OH MY GOSH! Brianne! You be careful out there. Holy mackerel.

That is an amazing story. Thank you for sharing. I don't think we'll be moving to Michigan anytime soon. Man...

Jill Johnson said...

That is so cool. Tornado's have always scared me. Take those warnings seriously silly.

B Griffeth said...

A little advice on living in the midwest. Listen to the tornado warnings. Tornado's really do happen out here.It is pretty scary! I know. The rain storms we get here are enough for me to take cover. CRAZzzY!!!